R-E-S-P-E-C-T

So, after every political debate I sit here at my desk the next morning while everyone around me makes their little comments, and I don't say anything, because I don't think work is the appropriate venue for political discourse.

Well, today, I couldn't help myself... 3 guys were laughing at McCain's arms, they were saying things like "what's the deal with his arms, he looks like he's carrying something under there all the time, ha ha ha!"

I jumped up and said, "Yeah, that would be because his plane was shot down and he broke both his arms, along with other injuries, and since he was a PRISONER OF WAR for FIVE YEARS, his bones didn't get set right, and so he can't lift his arms above this high." (I physically demonstrated this part for them)

Silence.

Then "Oh, I didn't know."

And I am left fuming, thinking: Really? You didn't know that? YOU DIDN'T KNOW THAT?!
But you're so well educated and informed!
I guess you also didn't know:
-he fractured both arms and a leg, and nearly drowned
-badly wounded, his captors refused to treat his injuries, beating and interrogating him to get information
-he spent six weeks in the hospital while receiving marginal care
-he lost 50 pounds in 6 weeks
-his hair turned white

I'm not saying to vote for McCain just because he was a POW, but for God's sake, have some respect. This man has fought for, suffered for, and served this country his entire adult life. He has not sought to serve his own self interests. If you differ with him ideologically, you are welcome to your opinion. When I see him, I see someone who has served and will serve his country first. And to not know that about him shows ignorance, and some serious lack of attention to the character of the candidates. It's not as if this biographical information has been buried or suppressed (unlike some of the unsavory information about Obama, but I digress).

7 comments:

Lulu said...

You rock!! Glad to hear that you spoke up...politics aside, who makes fun of people with handicaps anyways!?!

Have a great night!

LuLu

Whitney C. said...

Thanks, LuLu! And well made point.

Whitney said...

They were making fun of his arms where I was watching the debate too and I unleashed on them.

Whitney C. said...

ooh, unleashed, perfect descriptive word for what I did, too. Did they also have no idea of his biography?

Whitney said...

They had no clue, they just kept making cracks about how old he was. I came away from that debate more confused than anything.

Whitney C. said...

When you visit, have a chat with John. He is the best to watch debates with, because he knows when someone is twisting the truth or misrepresenting the other candidate's position. Sometimes I'll think "no, that's wrong" but I'm not positive on the details, but he remembers that kind of stuff and can explain exactly why they were wrong.

Claire said...

Good work. Sounds like it needed to be said.