Glad I'm not Canadian...

I was checking out the Year of a Million Dreams contest/promotion that Disney has going on, and while reading the rules, I started laughing. There's the normal legal type jargon, and then, this little gem:

"For residents of Canada, a mathematical skill-testing question must be correctly answered to win any prize. "


WHAT? A mathematical skill-testing question to win a prize? What is the deal with that? Is it some government program to get people interested in math? Why math? Why couldn't you chose to diagram a sentence instead? Whatever it is, it's a good thing I'm an American, because my math skills are less than stellar, and I'd never be able to win anything.

5 comments:

Whitney said...

"Blame Canada!" That is a totally bizarro stipulation! Kinda funny.

Whitney C. said...

I checked it out on wikipedia, I guess it has to do with Canada's gambling laws-- a game of skill vs a game of chance, and combining a game of chance w/that math question makes it a game of skill, which in turn makes it legal... Still bizarro, though, and still funny.

melissa o said...

This is really funny...

I work with someone who is French Canadian - and I just adore him. Not that it has anythign to do with anything... :)

Claire said...

Wow... that is so super weird. OH I just read your explanation. Well still... talk about a technicality.

Whitney C. said...

Wikipedia states that the person who must answer the question cannot ask for help, and cannot use any devices for help (like calculators); however, even if the question is answered wrong, you can still be awarded the prize. Ah, bureaucracy, how silly you are.